Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Party Time: Halloween Monster Bash

Halloween is a favorite holiday in our household, but with a little person around, we have to mix in sweet and nix the scary. What better way to celebrate than to host a not-so-scary Halloween Monster Bash? I'll admit that this party was a bit of a last minute throw together and I cut some corners when it came to preparation, but hopefully it doesn't show in the final product! Still, it was fun to plan and I think everyone had a good time.

I picked up the October Halloween issue of Better Homes and Gardens and saw an adorable Monster Party featured in its pages. Using that as my overall inspiration and creative springboard, I mixed several of their FREE Monster Party printables including a really cute invitation that was easy to assemble, a printable "Happy Halloween" garland,  and printable "Happy Monster" hat pieces, with things I either had around the house, or could easily be created with a few simple supplies.


 
If you've seen photos of any of our other parties, you'll know that our island usually gets a starring role. Our house is open from the living room into the kitchen, so I typically use the island as the party's central focus. I covered the surface using 2 yards each of a polka dot and orange and white chevron print. I picked both of these fabrics because I feel that they have the potential to be reused in the future (I already have a plan to use the orange and white chevron for my Thanksgiving tablescape.) I recreated the pompom garland that I saw in the magazine shoot using different sized pompoms, a needle and upholstery thread and hung it between the pendant lights.

 
I purchased three new chevron pillow covers (two in green and white and one in orange and white) to bring the party theme into the living room. I also swapped out our regular leather ottoman with the green table and matching stools from the playroom to make it more kid friendly and to provide additional seating for our little guests. On the table, I placed a basket with a Halloween themed Bingo game (I purchased the game for $5 at Target and used candy corn as game markers.)
 
 
Extra pompoms were placed in a clear plastic paint can (found in the Target Dollar Spot for $3) and made for a no-fuss table centerpiece.
 
 
The table was also the home of the build-your-own Monster hat station. Since the kids were too little to handle the scissors, this turned into an activity for the parents. The "Happy Monster" face printables were part of the BH&G Monster Pack.
 
 
I handmade the treat bags with stiffened felt and a glue gun using BH&G Monster Pack treat bag pattern. Each treat bag was filled with a light up creepy crawly insect (purchased at Dollar Tree for $1 each,) a mini container of bubbles (12 for $3 at Target,) and some silly vampire teeth ($2 for a pack at Target.) I also added some 24 piece Monster puzzles and some fun Monster Play Packs containing a small coloring book, crayons, and stickers to the treat display since they were too big to fit in the treat bags ($1 each in the Target Dollar Spot.)
 
 
In addition to having Pizza Hut pizza delivered, we had a popcorn bar (I totally didn't update the labels from the last party we hosted!) I completely took the easy way out with the food for this party.

 
I had originally planned on slicing up apples for the caramel apple dip, but at the last minute, decided against it and made a chalk board sign with directions to cut your own. I was worried that the apples might brown sitting out on the counter even if I added some lemon juice to them and to be honest, I didn't want to have a bunch of extra sliced apples after the party to either quickly eat or end up in the trash. Plus, all the kiddos were coming with their parents so it wasn't like we'd end up with any knife wielding toddlers.
 

 
Sweets were also a product of my lack of time and preparation. It was either purchase some store bought treats or find myself baking at midnight the night before the party. Luckily, Kroger came to the rescue with these pretty and tasty cupcakes and cookies.
 
 
Dressing up our entry table for the occasion, I added some light-up Jack-o-lanterns and monster stacking boxes from our Halloween decoration stash along with a mini pumpkin my son had decorated with glitter at preschool. Topped off with some more pompom garland and a string of mini pennants, it made for a cute display.
 
 

 
The BH&G magazine shoot suggested using a local print shop to enlarge a monster scene to create a giant coloring mural, but when I researched the printing costs, it was going to run me close to $60! Instead, I picked up two white trifold display boards (the type you use for science project displays for $3 each,) taped them together, and tied them to my banister. Then, I took a sharpie marker and drew the scene free hand. Sure, I could have printed something out and then used a projector and traced it all out, but since I was literally starting on this at nine thirty the night before the party, I opted for the quickest and easiest option. The whole project took me about twenty minutes. My son is still coloring on it and I've agreed to leave it up through Halloween.
 
Have a very Happy (and not-so-spooky) Halloween!
 
 

No comments: