Monday, October 20, 2014

Purging the Clutter Monster: Master Closet -Part 1

We are finally getting back into a routine after a two week fall break. I dropped my little guy off at preschool and I am currently enjoying three whole hours of quiet! Not to say we didn't have a great time together during his time off. We slept in until almost 9 am every morning which was amazing and we played games and generally just slowed down. I often forget how much we need that every now and again.

I've been spending my evenings reading the Becoming Minimalist Blog and it not only compliments what I'm trying to accomplish with the 31 Day Purge from A Bowl Full of Lemons, but also provides some great tips and philosophy on why it is important to loose the clutter from our lives. I don't know if I will ever be able to consider myself a minimalist, but if purging items makes my life simpler and more enjoyable, I'm game.

Yesterday, I was motivated and began purging my closet. I decided that I'd be a crazy person to try to do the whole thing at one time so I focused on the top rack which contains both long sleeved and short sleeved shirts. In addition, I purged my sock drawers (I am happy to say I am now down to a single drawer,) my winter accessories, my T-shirts, and my hats. The result was one and a half garbage bags full of items that will be heading to a local charity shop. I pulled out a handful of really nice high end pieces to take to a local consignment shop, but everything else is already packed into my car ready to drop off on the way home after preschool pick up.


I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me to get my closet cleaned out, but if I tackle a section and a few drawers every few days, it will be complete before I know it. I didn't get to this point overnight, and I accept that it will take some time to dig myself out, but I feel that I'll be happier without all of the excess.

No comments: