Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Cold Weather Comfort Food: Chicken and Dumplings!

The weather is getting cooler and we find ourselves eating more soups, stews, and dishes that make us feel warm and cozy. One of my favorite fall recipes is chicken and dumplings. I've always enjoyed them, but until last year, I had never attempted to make them myself. I was under the impression that they were the product of little gray haired ladies in church kitchens using closely guarded family recipes and that they took tons of time and lots of effort.  I couldn't have been more wrong!

Not only are they easy to make, they really don't require a bunch of prep, and they are delicious!
 
 
I used this recipe from The Country Cook and it is amazing! The broth is a little thinner at first, but if you can wait 20-25 minutes for it to thicken up before serving it is even better. My husband suggested adding cream to the broth, which I'm sure would be really good, just not as healthy.
 
 
I use a fondant mat to roll out the dough and a pizza cutter to cut it into the little dumpling squares. You can use whole grain flour in place of white flour if you choose.
 
 
I always use sodium free chicken stock since I salt and pepper my chicken before roasting it in the oven, shredding it, and adding it to the stock pan.
 
 
My son loves helping to cook this meal by placing the dumplings in the pot one by one. A great tip I have learned is that you can make two  (or more) batches of dumpling dough at a time. Use one in your dinner and then roll out and cut the second batch of dough into dumplings and store them flat between wax paper on trays in the freezer for later. So easy and so good!

No comments: