Thursday, October 9, 2014

Party Time: Engagement Party!

 When my brother announced that he was engaged a few months ago, we were all so happy for him. He seems like he is in a really good place in life and it is terrific he has found someone to join him on his journey through life. My husband suggested that we throw my brother and his new fiancé an engagement party to celebrate and I was definitely onboard.


My brother's fiancé sent me an adorable card with chalkboard font to ask me to be a bridesmaid in the wedding. I decided to use chalkboards, burlap, and this aqua that she loves for inspiration for the party. We scheduled the event the first weekend in October and since the weather can be really difficult to predict this time of year, I opted for an indoor party with the option of using our deck and patio for additional seating areas if weather allowed. While the sun shone brightly, we experienced some cold wind. Needless to say, the guests remained indoors.


The party was scheduled for 2 pm so it was after lunch and before dinner. I went with some fun snack and drink options including this Make-Your-Own Mimosa Bar.
 

Yum, Mimosa Bar... my favorite! I was able to grab these carafes for $3 each at an Old Time Pottery store. The Chalkboard shelf was a find at Gordman's and I'm certain I will be able to find lots of uses for it in the future. I threaded some wide satin ribbon through the base so it would tie in with the theme and color scheme. I purchased the plastic champagne flutes at Party City for $9.99 and I used some neutral wrapping paper with cream dots from the Target dollar spot to line my countertop.

"He Popped the Question," so I created a Popcorn Bar with different seasonings and toppings. I picked up this iron basket at an auction for $2 a few months ago. I didn't have a plan for it at the time, but once I lined it with some of the dollar spot wrapping paper, it was a perfect container for the popcorn. I used a wire basket lined with burlap to hold the aqua and white striped popcorn boxes (purchased at Party City.)


I picked up some glass salt shakers for $2 a set from Gordman's and filled them with seasonings that I found at Kroger. If I had thought about it beforehand I would have researched making my own, but the thought didn't occur to me until two days prior to the party. I also filled two glass containers with toppings (peanuts and M&M's.) I had theses containers already, as I had used them for a previous event, but they can be purchased at Michaels for $5 each. The scoops were found at Party City for $.79 each. Personally, I would have liked to use all clear scoops, but had to settle for some metallic ones since they didn't have enough in stock. Serves me right for waiting until the last minute to purchase them!


Donuts = Rings. Yes, I realize it is silly, but it gave us an excuse to get some glazed donuts from a local donut shop, Donut Frenzy. Seriously, this guy makes some amazing glazed donuts! I placed the donuts on a wood slice (found at Michaels in the wood burning craft area) and lined it with brown paper (I used mailing paper, but you could cut out a piece of a brown paper grocery bag just as easily) so the donuts wouldn't have to sit directly on the wood.


After a warm Indian summer, we were hit with some cool fall weather. What better way to warm up than with Hot Cocoa? Guests were invited to enjoy the Hot Cocoa Bar complete with marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, caramels, and whipped cream. I punched some tags for the marshmallows and chocolate chips, taped some pretty matching scrapbook paper around the whipped cream, and I borrowed my Grandmother's Keurig since I don't have one of my own (yet!) Tada... instant Cocoa Bar!


We needed a little sweet with the salty, so I went the easy route and picked up some mini cheesecakes at Sam's Club for the occasion (they come frozen so just pop them into the fridge the night before to thaw.) The mini cheesecakes looked cute piled on a cake stand and they saved me from having to do any baking.



I found this adorable box at Gordman's and created and printed some advice cards so that guests could write advice for the couple as they embarked on their wedding planning journey. In addition to the advice cards, there were also fun engagement story Mad-Libs for guests to complete, but I don't believe they made it into any on the photos.


I made this print the centerpiece of my tablescape. It says, "Being a Family Means You Will Love and Be Loved For the Rest of Your Life No Matter What." I thought it was such a great sentiment and appropriate for the occasion. This print has now found its way into our hall bath because I liked it so much.

 
I finished up my party décor with balloons, because every party needs balloons!

No comments: