Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Purging the Clutter Monster: Kid's Clothes

Sometimes, I look at my son and can't believe how big he has grown. He recently moved into wearing 4T clothing. I am in disbelief that the tiny little baby that I brought home from the hospital less than four years ago could be such a big (little) boy now. Such is life. Children grow quickly and that cute outfit that you purchased at Gymboree with the matching hat is worn only a few times before he outgrows it overnight.

For years, I've been stockpiling outgrown shirts, pants, pajamas and onesies. There was a time when I easily had ten to fifteen large plastic totes lining (and filling) the shelves in our basement storage area. I figured that one day we might have another little boy to wear them and it would be silly to clear them out only to have to purchase new clothing. The thing is, my son is nearly four. Some of these items have been stored in plastic totes for almost four years. Sure, we may have another child at some point, but it isn't a guarantee that if we do have another that it will be a boy. A few months ago, I decided that it was time to let them go to new homes. I pulled out a handful of favorites to keep (less than one tote's worth) and the rest were up for grabs.


After offering them up to friends first, the rest, along with a few toys, are heading to a local kids consignment sale today. With minimal effort (placing items on hangers and printing out computer generated tags,) I have the opportunity to earn 70% of the sale price. I've never participated before, but I've heard great reviews. After the sale, I will pick up any left over items and donate them to a local charity shop. My son gains space in his closet, I gain space in our basement, and someone else has the opportunity to purchase high quality gently worn clothing for their child that might not otherwise have the option to buy new.

 
 
This was the scene when I dropped off my items and they still have drop off appointments through the rest of today. It is going to be packed with merchandise. I was given an early shopping pass since I am a seller, but since my child needs nothing. I will be offering it up to friends in the area. This specific sale (KidStuff Consignment Sale) is located in New Albany, Indiana this weekend, but if you do a quick internet search for seasonal kids consignment sales, you are bound to find one in your area.

No comments: